The United is a non-profit organization dedicated to uniting the community through the arts. The organization is housed in the historic c.1926 United Theatre and the adjacent c. 1928 Montgomery Ward Department Building, which are contributing properties to the Westerly, RI Downtown Historic District. The United houses space for live performances, a cinema for independent movies, and an education center.
Extensive stabilization and rehabilitation of the complex was initiated following over two decades of disuse. Phased work for the 40,000 SF complex included:
- Installation of new lighting and HVAC systems
- Reconstruction of the Theatre’s entrance vestibule’s ground level framing,
- Partial reconstruction of basement slabs-on-grade.
- Installation of reinforcing and built-up framing to facilitate ADA access at the lobby,
- Repairs and partial reconstruction of stadium seating in the theatre.
- Construction of a new steel-framed mezzanine supported by new columns and footings,
- Repairs and installation of dunnage to support new rooftop equipment at both buildings
- Construction of new floor framing and installation of a new freight elevator utilizing existing stairwells and shafts at the rear of the Montgomery Ward Building.
- Alteration of the south side of the Montgomery Ward building to install a new grand staircase and elevator.
- Masonry façade repairs and rehabilitation of embedded steel lintels.